Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Our Painted Piano and DIY Malachite Bench.

If our piano growing up was peach or lemon yellow I bet I would have practiced a lot more.


Before, a sad empty living room corner.  



And the movers bringing in what they lovingly referred to as "the heaviest piano ever."  I joke. 


I found this beauty on Craigslist for next to nothing.  She was worse for wear when I found her, but nothing some green paint couldn't fix. 



Even though there was no doubt I'd be painting the piano, this decision was solidified once we got her in the space.  This finish just didn't do her justice.  #lifeistooshortforabrownpiano   


As for the bench, it sat in its original state for quite some time.  I finally decided a monochrome, green-on-green look would be fun and decided to make things interesting with this faux malachite technique I'd been dying to try.  It was so easy and instantly gratifying!  Such a fun way to inject some pattern to the otherwise solid piano.  I would definitely recommend this DIY.


I think this is really a lesson in living with what you love.  By no means am I a technical player, so for us painting the piano wasn't terrible from a sound / quality standpoint (I'm sure some of you serious musicians out there cringe at the sight of our painted instrument).  But we really love it.  This little corner of our house brings me such joy now, whether the piano is being played or just sitting silent.  And I'm such a proponent for a happy home!  So I say if you want to paint you piano (or do malachite walls or paint your ceiling blue or layer a rug on a rug on a rug) do it!  You won't regret it, I promise.  





5 comments:

  1. Wow is this your home? Did you design the space in the first image? Your home looks beautiful. Is it a craftsman home? Craftsman homes are my favorite.

    Ali of:

    www.aliandang.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali,

    Yes, I did the design work. This is my own home and such a special little corner of the house that brings such happiness to my husband and I.

    The home was built in 1949 and we have renovated the space down the studs. Be sure to check back often. I'll be sharing lots of reveals soon!

    Live Inspired,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love that bench! I think I may give the technique a try on a campaign nighstand Ive been needing to spruce up. Thanks so much for the inspiration and thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome info! I am looking forward to see more postsby you! Titanium Dice

    ReplyDelete
  5. This content is written very well. Your use of formatting when making your points makes your observations very clear and easy to understand. Thank you. Tungsten Dice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...