Thursday, January 26, 2012

Defining Personal Style.


Since the renovation phase is quickly approaching an end at the house, I'm starting to focus on decor. I want to nail this portion of the process and include every little detail I've always dreamt of living amongst. There's nothing like being surrounded by things you truly love on a daily basis. One of life's greatest luxuries, as far as I'm concerned.

But I don't think I'm alone when I say this, it can be hard to figure out just what to include and what to leave out! In this day in age we are exposed to so many versions of pretty. With blogs and tumblr sites galore, our sense of style can become slightly diluted. I find myself saying "I love that" to stark white modern spaces and seconds later to a perfect example of more-is-more.

While my likes clearly run the style gamut, I need to separate what I like from what I love, and further from what I truly cannot live without. I've boiled it down to some inspiration images that are so "me." You know, the images you see and have an immediate connection with. They include specifics from color, to accessories, to fabrics, to furniture layouts that I dearly love and feel are a strong representation of me and my style. I admire individuals with a strong sense of self and defined personal style and am working very hard to create a home that friends and family will walk into and say (aside from being well decorated and beautiful), "It's so you!"

Over the next few days I want to share some of my favorite "me" images I've loved for a long time. Let's start with the bedroom.

I start with white bedding, almost always.
I love crisp white linens for the basics.
Think duvet, pillows, and sometimes sheets too.
Then I like to add color or pattern.
This can be done through decorative pillows,
maybe a long punchy boudoir in front of the main pillows.
Or I'll throw a colorful blanket across the bottom of the bed.

I like a touch of brass in almost every space I decorate.
The gold hue works well with tons of colors,
and is enhanced especially by so many of the colors I love working with.
It doesn't fight saturated colors but rather blends with the whole quite well.

I love nature.
There's something so beautiful about bringing a bit of the outdoors in.
Whether it's as subtle as a vase of fresh flowers or as in your face as climbing vine wallpaper,
I'm drawn to spaces with a nod to Mother Nature.

This one kind of encapsulates it all.
Basic whites. Ethnic Pattern (and a stripe!!). Aged Brass.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

For years I claimed blue was my least favorite color.
Interestingly enough, it's one of my favorite colors to use in design.
The right warm blue acts as a neutral in my mind and can take on so many colors really well.
In the space above, blue is the perfect backdrop for every hue-
beige, grays, mustardy yellow, black, white and even blush pink and bright red.
I love this palette.

Stripes are a real favorite of mine. They get me every time.
Crisp without being stark, stripes add a graphic element that works well in nearly every space.
They are classic and fresh at the same time.

What are some design elements that are "so you"?
Any that pop up over and over again in your house or client projects?
One of my favorite things about decorating is the endless possibilities for the same space.
A room can be done so many different ways.
It's really fun to see a client space come together
by including things they truly love and elements that are very "them".

images via My Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Wow the first picture is beautiful. It's so simple yet elegant.

    http://www.lyzhang.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that blue is practically a neutral--it works with everything! Can't wait to see your decorated home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...